Writing texts is not always easy. It is a skill, however, and a skill that can be learned. As part of this programme, Styrian schoolchildren who are currently working with their VWA (pre-scientific paper) are given the opportunity to receive additional support from a mentor to further development their writing skills.
A mentor helps with
- Tips for researching and handling up-to-date specialist literature
- Problems with sources, e.g. their quality or usability, citation styles, etc.
- Discussions about the subject area and the research question of the paper
- Feedback on the pre-scientific paper
- Experience in time management during the last school year – after all, the time to graduation passes faster than you think
- Questions about studying at a higher education institution
- Assistance in applying for library cards
- Campus tours or attending a lecture together
The programme begins in the second semester of the 7th grade in secondary school and lasts until the end of the first semester of the 8th grade.
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities (Languages, History, Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology etc.)
- Faculty of Natural Sciences (Physics, Biology, Psychology etc.)
- Faculty of Law (human rights etc.)
- Faculty of Catholic Theology (World Religions, Applied Ethics etc.)
- Faculty of Environmental, Regional and Educational Sciences (Geography, Education, Sports Science, Environmental Systems Sciences)
The programme has been open to all Styrian grammar schools since the school year 2016/17. The VWA Mentoring programme was developed by the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Graz with the support of the Styrian Board of Education.
- Apply as a VWA Mentor (student) (only in German): via e-mail by January 15, 2021 at the latest
- Apply as a VWA Mentee (schoolchildren) (only in German): via e-mail by December 21, 2020 at the latest